Sightseeing on Liberty Island
Liberty Island is a small uninhabited island in New York Harbor in the United States.
The Liberty Island is the home of The Statue of Liberty.
The island has a land area of 59,558 square meters or 14,717 acres which is property of the federal government. This island is located completely within the boundaries of Jersey City, New Jersey but it built portions and docks fall under the jurisdiction of the City of New York.
This island is only accessable by ferry. Liberty Island is not part of the Ellis Island they are about one mile apart from each other. This island has a very colorful past its owners ranging from British to French to American individuals.
Liberty Island has been owned by the federal government since 1800, first military installation and now as a national landmark. This island was once surrounded by vast shellfish beds.
Liberty Island is formerly called Bedloe's Island. The name Liberty Island has been use since the early of 1900's and the name was not officially changed until 1956. This island is the home to Fort Wood, a multi-pointed star shaped battery made of granite because of this its nickname was Star Fort. The Fort was named Fort Wood after Lt. Col Eleazar Derby Wood who was killed in the Battle of Lake Erie in 1813. It later became the part of the base for the Statue of Liberty.
The island is accessible to the public only by ferry from the Battery Park in Manhattan and by ferry from Liberty State Park in New Jersey.
The Liberty Island is one of the several islands in New York Harbor near at the mouth of the Hudson River. This island offers panoramic views of New York Harbor.
This island is operated by the National Park Service and since September 11, 2001 it is guarded by around the clock patrols of the United States Park Office Marine Patrol Unit.
The name of Liberty has been used since the early of 20th century but the island was renamed in 1956. Before the construction of the Statue of Liberty the island was defended by Fort wood.
This Island of Liberty offers a numerous activities that suited for every travelers needs.
The History of the Statue of Liberty
The Statue of Liberty ("Liberty Enlightening the World") is a 225 ton and steel reinforced copper female figure, 151ft. 1 in. (46.05m) in height that facing the ocean from the Liberty Island in the New York Harbor. The right hand holds a loft torch and left hand carries a tablet upon which is inscribed; "July IV MDCCLXXVI". The Miss Liberty's shoe's length is 7.6 meters which is a US government size and the seven rays of her diadem is symbolize the seven oceans or continents. The main materials that used for the statue were copper of which 100 tons were used. The copper sheets were riveted on an iron skeleton inside the statue. There are 25 windows in lady Liberty's crown and the visitors must climb in a 354 stairs to reach the Statue of Liberty's crown or they can take an elevator. Visitors are strongly advised to wear a comfortable shoe suitable for climbing the small metal steps. There is no charge to visit the Statue of Liberty. The statue is normally open to visitors who arrive by ferry and can climb up into her crown, which is provides a board view of the New York Harbor. In the base of the statue there is a plaque located in the wall of the museum which poem that wrote of Emma Lazarus and it titled "The New Colossus".
The statue was designed by Frederic Auguste Bartholdi of Alsace as a gift to the United States from the people of France to memorialize the alliance of the two countries in the American Revolution and their abiding friendship. The statue was finally finished in 1884 with the help of tons workers that working ten hours days and seven days a week for nine years and the statue was presented to America on July 4. Frederic Auguste Bartholdi thought that the New York harbor was the perfect setting for his masterpiece because it was "where people get their first view of the New World." The massive steel structure that holds the Statue of Liberty was designed by Gustave Eiffel.
The Statue of Liberty was dedicated on October 28, 1886 and was designated a National Monument in 1924, and restored for her centennial on July 4, 1986, and a World Heritage Site in 1984.
This statue has become the icon of freedom and of the United States, and a symbol of welcome for all immigrants coming to America.
Today this statue was the main tourist attractions of New York and also the obligatory for all people that visiting America.
This statue is also seen on the New York State Quarter.
The total weight of the Statue was 450,000 pounds, the thickness of her waist was 35', and the new torch was covered with thin sheets of 24k.
This statue is one of the best known American landmarks.
This statue was not green from inception, it turned green due to atmospheric conditions, the main being acidic rainfall.
The torch that we see today is not the original torch of 1886. This torch was replaced during the 1984-86 restoration because the restoration was found unsuitable. The original torch was underwent major modifications in 1916 and today this torch is located in the Lady Liberty's Museum.
The statue was administered by the United States Lighthouse Board until 1901 and then by the Department of War. And since 1933 it has been maintained by the National Park Service.
The statue was closed for renovation for much of 1938. While the statue was closed from 1984 to 1986 the torch and a large part of the internal structure were replaced.